Lemuel The Servant

.

28 October, 2012

The Daily Gospel

Sunday, 28 October 2012
Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time - Year B

Sts. Simon and Jude, apostles - Feast


Commentary of the day
Saint Gertrude of Helfta : "Master, I want to see"

Reading

Mk 10:46-52.


        As Jesus was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a sizable crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind man, the son of Timaeus, sat by the roadside begging.
On hearing that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, son of David, have pity on me."
        And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he kept calling out all the more, "Son of David, have pity on me."
       Jesus stopped and said, "Call him." So they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take courage; get up, he is calling you."
        He threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus.
Jesus said to him in reply, "What do you want me to do for you?" The blind man replied to him, "Master, I want to see."
       Jesus told him, "Go your way; your faith has saved you." Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way.


Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB



Commentary of the day

Saint Gertrude of Helfta (1256-1301), Benedictine nun
Exercises, no.6 ; SC 127 (trans. ©Cistercian publications Inc. 1989)

"Master, I want to see"

        My heart and my flesh have exulted in you, my living God, and my soul has
been gladdened by you, my true salvation... Oh when will my eyes see you,
my God, God of gods? God of my heart, of when will you gladden me with the
sight of your mellifluous face? Oh when will you bestow upon me the desire
of my soul by manifesting your glory?My God, my choicest portion, my
strength and glory! Oh when will I enter into your might to see your virtue
and glory? Oh when will you clothe me with the mantle of your praise
instead of a spirit of sorrow so that, together with the angels, all the
parts of my body may render you an exultant sacrifice? God of my life, oh
when will I enter into the tabernacle of your glory in order that... my
soul and heart may confess to you in the presence of all your saints that
you have magnified your mercies towards me?... Oh when, after the snares of
this death have been destroyed, will I personally see you without
mediation...? Who will ever be able to be sated with the sight of your
brightness? How will the eye suffice to see or the ear to hear in wondering
at the glory of your countenance?( Biblical references : Ps 83[84],3; Ps
70[71],16; Lk 1,47; Is 61,10; Ps 26[27],6; Gn 19,19)

0 comments: